I am not a big “heart” person, not something I typically put on my quilts. Obviously I have made exceptions…. I purchased a Moneca Calvert pattern in 1991 called Hearts Abloom. This is the cover:
20 plus years later I have made my version of it. The prints and piecing no longer appealed to me and even back then I thought it was busy but did like the design. The main idea was to fill it with fancy quilting.
I learned a lot during this project. Number one, I no longer like using black. It is great against the applique pieces but not so good on my eyes. Number two, always go with plan A. I changed what I was doing for the major quilting motif in the background above the corner hearts and most importantly toned down the thread. The green Isocord blends a bit to much and shines a bit to much where I have back stitched. Back stitching everywhere or nowhere would have worked better but mostly you lose the design into the black. Ah well….still think it looks pretty nice 🙂
Feathers and floral motifs in side hearts.