Curiosity has gotten the better of me the past few months and I’ve started experimenting with painting on fabric. I’m sure I should stick to piecework and quilting but I absolutely had to try deColourant. To be exact, deColourant Plus. So, I bought basic red, blue and yellow which theoretically can be mixed to get everything else….right??? Also picked up a couple earthy tones and a silver because they came all together and I liked them.
On all the samples, I dried with a hair dryer to speed the process up and then heat set with an iron.
For my first experiment I drew a basic flower with leaves and used a RJR black fabric. It took a lot of paint to make the color stand out. Little if any went to the back so I’m not sure what was “removed”.
Next, same design on a blue. Now I can see what I am doing a bit better. I added the little 1″ border for trim and will get around to quilting it someday. Maybe add some paint to that background and make it a little less blue. Quilting would pretty much cure that problem also.
Third….what happens if you use a print? Takes on a very translucent effect with the lighter colors. I am going to add flowers below the butterfly and keep on experimenting.
Lastly, a black Moda Marble. This time I kept the paint a bit more sparse and subtle to see what or how much the designs would show up. It is muted which works for this design.
I am finding the fabric a bit stiff which I’m not fond of but none of the samples have been washed yet. Washing will probably soften things up a bit. More experimenting in store and I’m thinking I need more colors.
To achieve the designs I drew them out of freezer paper, ironed one sticky side to a dull side to obtain a slightly thicker template, cut out what I wanted to color and then ironed the pattern onto the background fabric.